Xilinx® ISE® provides an integrated flow with the Model Technology
ModelSim simulator which enables simulation to run from the Xilinx Project Navigator graphical
user interface. After ModelSim is installed and configured in your ISE session
preferences, all applicable ModelSim simulation Processes and Properties are available
to you in the Processes tab.
Note The Configure ModelSim Simulator process appears
when you specify ModelSim as the project simulator and you do not
have ModelSim installed correctly or configured in ISE.
This topic contains information about:
- Installing ModelSim
- Configuring ModelSim in ISE
- Specifying ModelSim as your Project Simulator
ModelSim simulator is available in three different editions: ModelSim
XE, ModelSim PE and ModelSim SE.
- ModelSim XE - ModelSim Xilinx Edition
III (MXE III) is the Xilinx version of ModelSim which is based on
ModelSim PE. For general information about MXE III and how to obtain
MXE III, go to: http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_tt_product.jsp?sProduct=MXE+III.
- ModelSim PE and ModelSim SE - ModelSim
PE and ModelSim SE are the full versions of the ModelSim product that
can be purchased directly from Model Technology. For more information
on purchasing ModelSim PE or SE, go to the Model Technology website, http://www.model.com.
Configuring ModelSim in ISE
All ModelSim simulator editions are configured in ISE in the Integrated Tools page of the Edit > Preferences dialog box. To configure ModelSim or confirm your configuration
- Select Edit > Preferences.
- In the left-pane window of the Preferences dialog box, expand
the ISE General hierarchy.
- Click Integrated Tools.
- In the Integrated Tools page, locate the Model Tech
- If the Model Tech Simulator does not contain the correct path
or execuable file, click the browse button to search for the ModelSim
executable, or type in the path and executable file in the field.
Note If you change the Model Tech Simulator path
or executable, you must restart Project Navigator for the settings to take
Once the configuration is correctly set, you can
simulate your design with ModelSim.
Specifying ModelSim as your Project
You can specify ModelSim as the simulator for
your project as follows:
- Create a project using the New Project Wizard, and specify
ModelSim in the Simulator field.
- To an existing project, change the Simulator field to ModelSim
in the Project Properties dialog box.