This answer record contains the Release Notes for MIG v1.6, and includes the following:
Xilinx Software Support
ISE Design Suite 8.1.03i is required for Virtex-4 and Spartan-3/-3E FPGA designs. ISE Design Suite 8.2.01i is required for Virtex-5 FPGA designs. No other ISE design tool versions have been tested with MIG 1.6.
MIG v1.6 is supported on Windows (32-bit) only.
New Features and Changes
General New Features and Changes
Virtex-5 and Virtex-4 New Features and Changes
Spartan-3 and Spartan-3E New Features and Changes
Xilinx ISE Design Suite and CORE Generator Installation Requirements:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Memory controllers generated by MIG v1.6 targeting Virtex-4 and Spartan-3E devices have been fully regression tested using 8.1i SP3. For users who cannot use 8.1i SP3 when targeting Virtex-4 or Spartan-3/3E devices, see (Xilinx Answer 23943).
MIG v1.6 Installation Instructions:
1.Download MIG v1.6 from one of the following:
For Virtex-4, Spartan-3, or Spartan-3E FPGA:
(Enter your xilinx.com account name and password when prompted.)
2. Unzip this file into the root ISE 8.1i (Virtex-4 and Spartan-3/-3E) or ISE 8.2i (Virtex-5) installation (C:\Xilinx by default).
3. You might be prompted to allow it to overwrite existing files, select "Yes to All."
This method works only if you are using the 8.1i CORE Generator tool. You can use either this method or download the ZIP file as described above. The automatic updates installer does not work for MIG if you are using 8.2i CORE Generator.
1. Launch the CORE Generator tool by selecting Start -> Xilinx ISE 8.1i -> Accessories -> CORE Generator from the Windows Start menu.
2. When the CORE Generator interface opens, select Tools -> Updates Installer.
3. The CORE Generator tool displays a dialog box with a warning indicating that it will exit after the installation is complete. Click Accept.
4. The CORE Generator tool connects you to www.xilinx.com and might ask for your xilinx.com User ID and password. If you are behind a firewall, you might have to enter the appropriate proxy settings.
5. The IP Updates Installer dialog box opens and displays a panel listing the available updates.
6. Select "ISE 8.1i MIG 1.6" and click the Install Selected button. The program might indicate that other installs are required. You can accept these informational messages. The CORE Generator tool downloads and installs the requested products and exits.
NOTE: Do not interrupt the installation process. During the process, you must accept various pop-up messages. If you have other windows open, the pop-ups might be hidden behind these windows. If you have any problems using this method, revert to Method 1 above.
To launch MIG, follow these steps:
1. Launch the CORE Generator tool by selecting Start -> Xilinx ISE 8.Xi -> Accessories -> CORE Generator.
2. Create a CORE Generator project.
3. Set your Xilinx part correctly; it cannot be changed inside MIG. Note that Virtex-4, Virtex-5, and Spartan-3/-3E devices are supported by MIG.
4. Note the location of the CORE Generator project directory. The "View by Function" tab to the left shows the available cores organized into folders.
5. Launch MIG by selecting Memories & Storage Elements -> MIG -> Memory Interface Generator.
6. In the Module Name text box, enter the name of the module to be generated. When you click Generate, the module files are generated in a directory with the same name as the module name in the CORE Generator project directory.
7. After generation, close the interface by selecting the Dismiss button.
The Generated IP tab to the left lists your generated modules. You can use the generated "ise_flow.bat" script or the ISE GUI to manually add the generated HDL files to a project. The MIG User Guide explains how the generated HDL files are used. You can access the MIG User Guide from the View Data Sheet links in the CORE Generator tool, or from the Data Sheet button in the MIG GUI.
You can access additional MIG and memory-related information at:
NOTE: To access this URL, you must register specifically for the Memory Interface Generator product.
See Memory Interface Generator (MIG) under the "Resources" section.
You can search for other available IP cores at:
If you have comments, questions, or problems, contact Xilinx Technical Support at: