Incremental Compile Flow is supported ever since Vivado Design Suite 2013.1, and you can use the Incremental Compile Flow in both project mode and non-project mode.
In the Project mode:
1. In the Design Runs window, right-click the new implementation run impl_2 and select Set Incremental Compile from the pop-up menu.
2. Browse to the reference DCP file as the incremental compile checkpoint and click OK.
3. Continue to run implementation.
In the Non-Project mode:
1. After synthesis or opening the post-synthesis checkpoint, run the following command:
%read_checkpoint -incremental reference_routed.dcp
2. Continue to run implementation.