Incremental Compile Flow is supported ever since Vivado Design Suite 2013.1, and you can use the Incremental Compile Flow in both project mode and non-project mode.
In the Project mode:
1) In the Design Runs window, right-click the new implementation run impl_2 and select Set Incremental Compile from the pop-up menu.
2) Browse to the reference DCP file as the incremental compile checkpoint and click OK.
3) Continue to run implementation.
In the Non-Project mode:
1) After opt_design, run the following command:
%read_checkpoint -incremental reference_routed.dcp
2) Continue to run implementation.
For more details see the Implementation guide, (UG904) which has a section on Incremental Compile at the end of Chapter 2: