Embedded Linux on Zynq using Vivado
|Course Description||This course provides university academics with the resources, high-level skills, and confidence to introduce Embedded Linux development on Zynq using Vivado to their teaching and research programs.|
|Who should attend?||Professors who want to introduce and extend Xilinx SoC and Embedded Linux in their teaching and research programs.|
After completing this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of the Linux operating system and Embedded Linux concepts including:
- Linux kernel architecture
- Device driver concepts and loadable modules
- Use the Xilinx Vivado and PetaLinux Tools to achieve a working embedded Linux kernel on a Zynq platform
- Build, modify and debug Embedded Linux applications on the ARM Cortex-A9 platform
- Develop a simple custom hardware peripheral having AXI interface for ARM Cortex-A9
- Develop a simple Linux device driver for the custom hardware peripheral
- Embedded Linux Overview
- Lab 1: A First Look
- Compare and contrast embedded Linux on Xilinx Zynq SoC and Linux on desktop.
- Introduction to PetaLinux Tools
- Lab 2: Build and Boot Linux
- Build your own kernel image and boot new image via the network.
- Application Development
- Lab 3: Application Development and Debug
- Create an application using a script file and debug using cross-debugger.
- Networking and TCP/IP
- Lab 4: Networking
- File transfer, Network File System (NFS) mount, and embedded web-server and web-based applications.
- Device Drivers and Modules
- Lab 5: Drivers and Modules
- Create a simple run-time loadable kernel module.
- Introduction to Vivado, SDK, and Zynq
- Lab 1: Vivado IP Integrator and Board Bringup
- Create a Linux capable ARM Cortex-based Zynq platform from scratch including hardware and kernel.
- Custom Hardware Development and Interfacing
- Lab 2: Custom Hardware Development
- Use custom core with AXI interface.
- Custom Device Drivers
- Lab 3: A Driver for the New Hardware
- Develop UIO drivers for the AXI custom IP core and an application to test them.