The Total Solution for Next-Generation Automotive Applications
Unmatched in reliability and flexibility, Xilinx Automotive solutions are the key to addressing the most demanding technical and business challenges facing automotive system designers. With an industry leading portfolio of All Programmable technology and a robust ecosystem, Xilinx provides the total solution for next-generation driver assistance, driver information and infotainment applications.
- Increase system performance, reduce BOM cost, and lower overall power through greater programmable systems integration
- Mitigate risk and accelerate design productivity with flexible, scalable development platforms
- Complete ecosystem of software, IP, design tools and design service provide accelerated design productivity
- Meet stringent requirements with fully-tested, automotive-grade devices
Silicon Device Families
Xilinx tests its automotive-grade devices above and beyond the current AEC-Q100 automotive qualification requirements. Xilinx has also completed design tool certification by a 3rd party for compliance to the ISO-26262 standard for Functional Safety, and we continue our commitment to strengthen all processes to provide the highest quality and most robust All Programmable devices and tools in the automotive market.
Learn more about All Programmable and Smarter Vision Solutions for:
Smarter Vision: Intelligence for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
In today's automotive market, governmental safety standards demand the latest and most intelligent safety systems, such as back-up cameras in the US and Automated Electronic Braking (AEB) systems from Euro NCAP. Vehicle-based camera systems have become a key differentiator for OEM manufacturing using Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) technologies. As a primary processing platform in ADAS, Xilinx All Programmable devices and solutions enable:
- Real-Time Analytics: Real-time image analytics including object detection, recognition, classification, and tracking enable applications such as lane departure warning and pedestrian detection.
- Video Processing and Displays: Video frame capture, de-warp and stitching, along with 2D/2.5D/3D graphics and overlays allow users to customize the look and feel of what is displayed to the vehicle driver and passengers.
- Intelligent Transport: Programmable I/O blocks and solutions for various communications standards like Ethernet AVB and CAN provide flexible and effective methods for distribution of video and data around the vehicle.
- Fastest Time to Market with Differentiated Products: Deliver differentiated products quickly and avoid high ASIC NREs and “me too” ASSP solutions while supporting rapidly changing ADAS requirements through the use of Xilinx advanced silicon, programmable Xilinx SmartCORE™ IP, comprehensive tools and robust ecosystem.
Xilinx automotive solutions also address the challenges of quickly adopting and migrating to the latest standards, interfaces, and IP to handle real-time image processing from multiple cameras on a single device. Partial reconfiguration can dynamically swap out device IP based on system/vehicle state to minimize digital logic silicon footprint allowing the smallest possible device while providing custom processing functionality for a variety of ADAS feature bundles. With the high levels of integration possible using Xilinx solutions, users can reduce the size, power consumption and total cost of ADAS while meeting market windows ahead of the competition.
Xilinx All Programmable solutions provide flexible and scalable platforms at the Tier One automotive electronics level. This enables OEM automakers to offering various ADAS features bundled to differentiate their cars from the competition.
ADAS system functional architectures continue to grow more complex, requiring:
- Viewable Systems require Video Processing (such as image enhancement and distortion correction) and graphical information overlay to display to the driver
- Non-Viewable Systems require Image Processing Analytics (pixel level processing to extract pertinent information from video images to identify lane markings, signs, pedestrians and other vehicles)
- Further analytics, like motion estimation, used to characterize the vehicle environment and support continuous threat assessment and drive countermeasures
The diagram below demonstrates how both parallel and serial processing are required to support all of the features required in ADAS. Having flexibility in partitioning the ADAS architecture between hardware and software is key to optimizing the solution for highest performance, while allowing for scalability in the system.
All Programmable and Smarter Solutions
Xilinx All Programmable and Smarter Solutions include All Programmable FPGAs, SoCs, and 3D IC platforms in addition to a suite of SmartCORE, LogiCORE™, and specialized ecosystem IP that can be customized, to optimally address unique market needs and reduce time to integration. Xilinx Vivado™ Design Suite and the development tool flow using OpenCV libraries, the Qt framework, High Level Synthesis, and IP Integrator, provide a faster, more flexible means to go to market with greater differentiation, lower risk, and lower total cost of ownership than alternative ASIC and ASSP solutions.
Functional Safety in Automotive
The ISO 26262 was released in 2012 as a standard for Functional Safety in the automotive industry and has been widely adopted among manufacturers and suppliers of automotive applications. In addition to investing in reliability and quality initiatives, Xilinx has invested in Functional Safety certification for Industrial and Automotive applications that require compliance with IEC 61508 and ISO 26262. Xilinx has received Functional Safety certification from Tuv-Sud for ISE Design Suite v 14.2.
ISO 26262 “Road vehicles – Functional Safety” is an adaptation of IEC 61508 to the application sector of electrical and/or electronic (E/E) systems installed in series production passenger cars with a maximum gross vehicle mass up to 3,500 kg. It addresses the possible hazards caused by malfunctioning behavior of E/E safety-related systems, including interaction of these systems.
Safety is addressed at each step of the automotive lifecycle of the product, and ISO 26262 suggests the V-model in order to address the safety lifecycle.
Please access the Functional Safety Design Flow Solutions Product Brief for more information.