Implements a CAN bus controller that performs serial communication according to the CAN 2.0, CAN FD, and CAN XL specifications.
The CAN-CTRL core is easy to use and integrate, featuring programmable interrupts, data and baud rates; a configurable number of independently programmable acceptance filters; and a generic processor interface or optionally an AMBA APB, or AHB-Lite interface.
The number of receive buffers is synthesis-time configurable. Two types of transmit buffers are implemented: a high-priority primary transmit buffer (PTB) and a lower-priority secondary transmit buffer (STB). The PTB can store one message, while the number of included buffer slots for the STB is synthesis-time configurable. The transmit buffer can operate in FIFO or priority mode.
The core implements functionality similar to the Philips SJA1000 working with its PeliCAN mode extensions, providing error analysis, diagnosis, system maintenance, and optimization features.
The CAN-CTRL is available in two versions: Normal, and Safety-Enhanced. The Safety-Enhanced version implements ECC for SRAMs protection and uses spatial redundancy for protecting the inner logic of the core. The deliverables for this version include a Safety Manual (SAM), a Failure Modes, Effects and Diagnostics Analysis (FMEDA), and the ISO-26262 ASIL-B Ready certificate, issued by SGS-TÜV Saar GmbH.
The core is extensively verified, proven in several plug fests and a large number of production designs.
Key Features and Benefits
- Optional Safety Enhanced Version implements ECC for SRAM and spatial redundancy for inner logic protection, and it is ISO-26262 ASIL-B Ready. ISO-26262 ASIL-C version available on request
- Supports CAN 2.0 & CAN-FD (ISO 11898-1.2015), TTCAN (ISO 11898-4 level 1), and CAN XL (CiA 601-1)
- Optimized for AUTOSAR and SAE J1939
- Enhanced Functionality: Reports bus errors and supports Listen-Only and Loop-Back modes, enabling traffic analysis, bit-rate detection, and shelf-testing.
- Configuration Options: Number of Rx & Tx buffers, number of acceptance filters, number of CAN nodes and host bus type (AHB-Lite, APB or generic uP).
- Maturity: Multiple times production proven. Proven with different transceivers and tested in CAN-FD plug-fests