I have been told that I need to completely remove my Xilinx software and re-install it. What is the best way to go about this?
In rare cases, a technical problem may require that you completely uninstall the Xilinx tools from your system in order to re-install your software correctly.
There are six steps to cleanly un-install and re-install your software:
- Ensure the system meets all requirements outlined on page 1-2 of the Release Notes and Installation Guide.
- If you are running Windows NT, ensure you have Administrative Privileges. (If you are not sure, check with your system administrator.)
- Ensure the TEMP and TMP system variables point to the same place (e.g., C:\TEMP). For instructions on setting environment variables, please see (Xilinx Answer 10538).
2. REMOVE OLD VERSIONS OF XILINX SOFTWARE:
- In Windows Explorer, move your design files out of the Xilinx top-level directory (which is often named something like "C:\Fndtn").
- Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Remove all Xilinx software.
- Delete the top-level Xilinx directory.
- Remove the $XILINX environment variable and any references to Xilinx within the "PATH" environment variable.
3. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER:
For this step, you can do one of two things:
(a) If this is your first time following Answer Record 11111, simply restart the computer.
(b) If the process in Answer Record is not working and you need further help, call the Xilinx Support Hotline for instructions on cleaning your registry (1-800-255-7778).
4. RE-INSTALL YOUR XILINX SOFTWARE:
- Use a different directory name that does not contain any spaces.
- Carefully follow the instructions provided in your Release Notes and Installation Guide.
5. CONFIRM THAT THE SOFTWARE WORKS:
- Ensure that the software runs by opening it and creating a project.
6. APPLY THE LATEST SERVICE PACK:
- For the latest service pack information, visit http://support.xilinx.com/support/techsup/sw_updates/
- Select your product information, enter your registration information, and follow the README file on the next page.
NOTE: If you encounter an error message related to a license, Synopsys, or FPGA Express: