This Answer Record contains the following information for the LogiCORE Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC v1.1 Core, which is released in 6.3i IP Update 3 and IP Update 4:
- What's New
- Known Issues
NOTE: The Tri-mode Ethernet v1.1 Core is identical in both 6.3i IP Update 3 and IP Update 4 releases.
- N/A (first release).
1. The Tri-mode Ethernet MAC v1.1 Core supports the slowest Spartan-3 family speed grade (-4). For timing margin reasons, Xilinx recommends Spartan-3 (-5) family devices for the implementation of the Tri-mode MAC FIFO design example running in 1 Gb/s mode. If the application does not need the FIFO design example, then Spartan-3 (-4) can be targeted for Tri-mode Ethernet MAC Core implementation.
2. Problems exist with the 1 Gb/s Half-Duplex operation of the Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC v1.1 Core. For more information on this issue, see (Xilinx Answer 20384). To resolve this issue, install the patch below and regenerate the core.
3. The unicast address port of the Tri-mode Ethernet MAC v1.1 Core does not properly set the address used for address filtering when the core is generated without the Management Interface. To work around this issue, set the Pause Frame MAC Source Address to also match the unicast address setting. For more information on this issue, see (Xilinx Answer 21311).
To resolve issue #2 from above, apply the appropriate patch below for the version of ISE that you are using:
* For 7.1i installation, use the following patch:
If the following patch was installed for the 6.2.03i IP Update 3 or 6.3i IP Update 4 installation and then 7.1i was installed, you must install the above patch to the 7.1i installation as well.
* For 6.2.03i IP Update 1.2 or 6.3i IP Update 4 installation, use the following patch:
* If the patch was installed for the 6.3i IP Update 3 version of the core and then IP Update 4 was installed, you must re-install the patch. This is necessary because IP Update 4 does not contain the fixes and installing it will overwrite the patched files.
Install the patch as follows:
1. Unzip the contents of the ".zip" file or "tar.gz" archive to the root directory of the Xilinx installation. Select the option that allows the extractor to overwrite all of the existing files and maintain the directory structure pre-defined in the archive.
Determine the Xilinx installation directory by entering the following at the command prompt:
UNIX or Linux
Determine the Xilinx installation directory by typing the following:
NOTE: You might need to have system administrator privileges to install the patch.
2. After installing the patch, regenerate the Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC Core from CORE Generator. The core and supporting files produced will contain the fixes mentioned above.