Although Xilinx is continuing to evaluate ways to speed up the loading of licenses in XLCM, the license loading time is determined by the depth of the Xilinx license search tree, the number of licenses or locations searched, and the speed of the network connections to the floating licenses.
Because XLCM needs to show all available license features, it is required to look in every directory, license, and PORT@SERVER location that appears in the license search path.
Typically, PORT@SERVER locations with many licenses slows the XLCM loading the most. To speed up loading, you might try the following:
- Remove any unused PORT@Server locations from the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE variables.
- Remove redundant PORT@Server locations from the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE variables.
- On Windows OS, delete %HOMEDRIVE%\.Xilinx\license_info.cache. See (Xilinx Answer 32848) for possible side effects.
- Remove expired or unused licenses from the default license directories and any directories pointed to by: XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE variables.
XLCM looks for license keys in the following places in order:
- All the places listed by the environment variable XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE, if set.
- Location cached for XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE in the registry ("HKLM\Software\FLEXlm License Manager") for Windows, or registry file ($HOME/.flexlmrc) for Linux.
- All the places listed by the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE, if set.
- %HOMEDRIVE%\.Xilinx\*.lic or $HOME/.Xilinx/*.lic
- %HOMEDRIVE%\.Xilinx\Coregen\CoreLicenses\*.lic or $HOME/.Xilinx/Coregen/CoreLicenses/*.lic (supported from 11.2 onwards)
- %XILINX%/data/*.lic (for each entry in %XILINX%)
- %XILINX%/coregen/core_licenses/*.lic (for each entry in %XILINX%)
- %XILINX_EDK%/data/core_licenses/*.lic (for each entry in %XILINX_EDK%)
- All the places cached in %HOMEDRIVE%\.Xilinx\license_info.cache, created when you click "Set" to save the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE value in XLCM (Windows platforms only).