Generating a core in Vivado 2012.x tools with the synthesis option checked might error out with the following message:
ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-98] Generation of the IP CORE failed.
Failed to generate IP 'serdes_send'. Please see the Messages folder for Generated IP/serdes_send.
The error message provides limited information as to what the issue might be.
The following will need to be checked to make sure this error does not occur:
1. Ensure your project file directories do not contain spaces or special characters.
2. Make sure you have administrative rights to the project file directory.
3. Check that the character length of any file path that needs to be used/accessed by Vivado is less than the OS maximum limit.
4. When importing .xco, ensure that the component name matches the title of the core.
5. Try re-adding and re-generating the core.
If these tips do not help, or if you have any questions regarding this issue, please open up a WebCase with Xilinx Technical Support at: