Because the NCSim tool is not integrated into the Vivado Design Suite 2013.2 release, a scripted flow must be used to perform simulation on the design and IP of the project. This answer record describes the process of performing NSCim simulation, and provides a Tcl script that can be run within Vivado tools to produce the necessary file lists for simulation compilation.
- This script works only in the Vivado 2013.2 tools release; it does not work with prior versions of the tools.
- This script is meant to be used with a single source and simulation set project.
- This script cannot use the Synthesis Design Check Point IP option during output product generation.
- For more information on IP Flows, see UG896, Designing with IP.
- For more information on Vivado simulation, see UG900, Logic Simulation.
- Run compile_simlib to compile the libraries and generate the library mappings in cds.lib and hdl.var.
- Before running simulation, define the work library.
The provided script is a Tcl script to be used in the 2013.2 Vivado Design Suite. This script will perform the following actions:
- Locates all design files in the project.
- Locates all IP in the project and their associated files.
- Creates a file list for NCSim simulation.
To run the script, perform the following:
- Open the Vivado project.
- Place the Tcl script in the project directory, or other convenient location. A specific location is not required.
- Run the Tcl script from the Tcl console with the following command: "source <path>/IES_ip_file_generator.tcl"
- This produces the filelist.f file in the present working directory.
- Use the run_behav_sim.bash as an example of how to run the NCSim simulation with the generated file list.