Before opening a webcase, collect all of the information requested below.
1. Is the QSPI flash and configuration supported by Xilinx?
Please provide the full flash name, the configuration type (single, dual parallel, dual stacked) and the voltage. If the configuration is not "standard" (muxes, level shifters or other), provide also the board schematics.
2. Is Zynq Production Silicon?
Use XMD to read and report the PS_VERSION from 0xF8007080.
Please provide Silicon Version reporting register 0xF8007080
3. Is the JTAG chain operating properly?
Use XMD to try to connect to the CPU.
Please provide JTAG chain description (how many devices on the chain, how many zynq, zynq in cascade or independent JTAG, any level shifter in the chain). Report any XMD error.
4. In which phase of booting Zynq is failing? bootROM or FSBL?
In order to determine this, program an image with FSBL debug prints enabled. #define FSBL_DEBUG_INFO in fsbl_debug.h
If some printing comes out on the UART during boot:
Please provide a log of the FSBL print out on the UART. FSBL is a user application and can be easily debugged using SDK. Try to do a brief investigation before filing a webcase.
- If nothing comes out on the UART during boot, first double check the UART baudrate.
Please provide the status of INIT_B (high or low or blinking), REBOOT_STATUS and BOOT_MODE registers after the boot failure.
Most likely the boot image was not programmed properly (continue to step 5).
5. Are SDK and iMPACT failing to program?
- See (Xilinx Answer 59275) for SDK / iMPACT QSPI programming known issues and workarounds.
- For debug purposes the Debug Environmental Variable XIL_CSE_ZYNQ_DISPLAY_UBOOT_MESSAGES can be set to 1. See (Xilinx Answer 59272) for more details.
Please provide the version of the tool used. Be sure your image was built with the same version of the tool used to program.
Please provide the boot mode settings used for programming (booting from JTAG or QSPI).
Please provide the log obtained using the XIL_CSE_ZYNQ_DISPLAY_UBOOT_MESSAGES variable.
6. Is it working using u-boot?
Use the u-boot.elf pre-built from the latest released image on the wiki, and follow the CTT guide (UG873) including the instructions under "Program QSPI Flash With the Boot Image Using JTAG and U-Boot Command".
Please provide the log of the programming using pre-built u-boot image from the wiki. Specify the u-boot version used.
7. Is the board design to support the QSPI frequency used for programming?
Use u-boot and double check the clock settings to verify the QSPI clock frequency (QSPI_REF_CLK and QSPI_CLK on the CLK pin).
Remember that QSPI has two modes of operations depending on if the clock frequency is higher or lower than 40MHz. Calculate and verify the QSPI clock speed.
Please provide the register settings and the calculation done to verify the QSPI clock frequency.
8. Is the Xilinx standalone example working?
Some Debugging is required to understand where the example is failing (through the SDK debugger or by adding debug prints).
Is the issue with the initial query of the QSPI or a mismatch between writes and reads?
Is there any error pattern in the read back data? (Maybe a particular bit stuck to 1 or 0).
Report the type of failure in the Xilinx standalone example