The following issues might occur when installing and running ISE on a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 machine:
- ISE 10.1 - ISE 64-bit installer crashes during installation with the _setup.exe error shown below:
- ISE 14.7 64-bit - Opening a file dialog causes the tool to crash to the desktop. This can occur when trying to "Load a License", "Open a Project" (see screenshot below), or any other process that brings up a file dialog box:
- PlanAhead 14.7 64-bit - Opening PlanAhead in 64-bit results in a Java Runtime Environment fatal error:
****** PlanAhead v14.7 (64-bit)
**** Build 321239 by xbuild on Fri Sep 27 19:29:51 MDT 2013
** Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2013 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
INFO: [Common 17-78] Attempting to get a license: PlanAhead
INFO: [Common 17-290] Got license for PlanAhead
INFO: [Common 17-86] Your PlanAhead license expires in 19 day(s)
INFO: [Device 21-36] Loading parts and site information from C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/PlanAhead/data/parts/arch.xml
Parsing RTL primitives file [C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/PlanAhead/data/parts/xilinx/rtl/prims/rtl_prims.xml]
Finished parsing RTL primitives file [C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/PlanAhead/data/parts/xilinx/rtl/prims/rtl_prims.xml]
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000000360000, pid=30740, tid=31220
# JRE version: 7.0_17-b02
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C 0x0000000000360000
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
***DISCLAIMER: Xilinx does not officially support using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with ISE Design Suite*** - see: (Xilinx Answer 18419)
While these OS are not supported, the following work-arounds have successfully resolved the above issues for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users:
ISE 10.1 - Using the 32-bit Installation:
1) Navigate to the 32-bit install bin directory: <extracted_directory>\bin\nt
2) Right click on the "setup.exe" executable and select "Run as administrator".
3) Proceed through the rest of the installation flow as normal.
4) ISE 10.1 32-bit Design Suite should now function successfully and can be used as an alternative to the 64-bit version even on 64-bit machines.
ISE 14.7 64-bit - Turning off SmartHeap:
1) Navigate to the following ISE install directory: <install_path>\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\
2) Rename the file "libPortability.dll" to "libPortability.dll.orig".
3) Copy the "libPortabilityNOSH.dll" file to the same folder, and rename it to "libPortability.dll".
4) Repeat steps 1-3 in the following folder: <install_path>\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64\
The above steps substitute the original "libPortability.dll" with a "libPortability.dll" file that has SmartHeap disabled, the NOSmartHeap (NOSH) version.
This does not negatively impact the operation of the tools, and should successfully work around the ISE 14.7 crash documented above.
PlanAhead 14.7 64-bit - Running in 32-bit:
1) Right click the PlanAhead shortcut from either the desktop or the start menu.
2) Select "Properties".
3) Modify the "Target" field of the "Shortcut" tab by adding a "-m32" flag at the end of the line per the screenshot below.
Installing and running a Virtual Machine with a supported OS:
- Although not officially supported, you have the option of running a virtual machine using a supported OS with free virtualization software such as: Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and VMware Player.
- Please note that although the above virtualization software is free, it does not include the necessary OS software.