Schematic and Symbol Editors
Adding a Symbol Instance
A symbol instance is a reference to
a symbol. You can add a symbol instance to your schematic as follows.
You can add a Xilinx® Unified Library symbol or a symbol you create.
For more information on Xilinx Unified Library symbols,
see the Libraries Guides
available from the Software Manuals
Before performing this procedure, you must open an existing
schematic, or create a new schematic.
To Add a Symbol Instance to a Schematic
- Select Add > Symbol, or click the
Add Symbol toolbar button .
- In the Symbols panel, filter the list of symbols using either of the following methods:
- In the Categories field, click All Symbols, a directory name, or a symbol type, for example, Buffer.
- In the Symbol Name Filter field, type the first letter
or letters of the symbol.
- In the Symbols field, click the symbol name.
- Set the orientation of the symbol as follows:
- Move the cursor over the schematic window to see the
orientation of the symbol.
- To change the orientation, select a setting from the Orientation drop-down list in the Symbols panel.
- In the schematic, click to place the symbol instance.
Once the procedure is completed, the symbol instance is
assigned the default name XLXI_number
. To rename the instance, follow the procedure described in Naming a Symbol Instance
Note If a symbol pin touches the end of a wire, the symbol pin
is connected to the wire when the symbol is placed in the schematic.
If a symbol pin touches an existing symbol pin, the symbol pin is
automatically connected to the existing symbol pin with a net when
the symbol is placed in the schematic.
© Copyright 1995–2009, Xilinx®
Inc. All rights reserved.