Creating Xilinx Flash/PROM Files
The following is the PROM File Formatter flow for generating
a PROM file for a Xilinx® Platform Flash or PROM device.
Before you run the procedure below, open the PROM File
Formatter Wizard by double-clicking Create PROM File (PROM
File Formatter) in the iMPACT Flows panel.
The PROM File Formatter Wizard opens (see below). A number in the
figure indicates the procedure step to which the area applies.
To Create a Xilinx Flash/PROM File
- In Step 1 of the PROM File Formatter
Storage Target), select Xilinx Flash/PROM.
- Click the arrow to the right of Step 1.
- In Step 2 of the Wizard (Add Storage Devices), for each applicable PROM:
- Specify PROM Family and Device (bits).
- Click Add Storage Device.
For multiple PROMs (also called a PROM daisy-chain), the first
PROM you enter is located at position 0; the second PROM is assigned
position 1. You are limited to a maximum of 64 serial PROMs in a chain.
If you want the correct size PROM automatically chosen for you,
select the Auto Select PROM checkbox.
Note If you choose to have the correct size of PROM automatically
chosen for you, advanced PROM features such as revisions and compression
will not be available to you.
- Click the arrow to the right of Step 2.
- In Step 3 of the Wizard (Enter Data), specify the entries in the General File
Detail section and the Flash/PROM
File Property section for the PROM file to be created.
- Click OK.
- In the Add Device dialog boxes, specify the device (bitstream)
files to be added to the PROMs.
Note The same startup clock restrictions that apply for configuring
devices with a cable also apply to adding bitstreams to PROM files.
For PROM files, only bitstreams with startup clock settings of CCLK
As bitstreams are added, the PROM contents are displayed
in the PROM File Formatter window.
- If you selected the Add Non-Configuration Data
Files property in the PROM File Formatter Wizard, add
data files to the PROM files in this way:
- In the Add Data File dialog boxes, specify the data
files to add to the PROMs.
Note You can specify any file as a data file to be added to
the PROM file. Examples are: MCS, BIN, HEX, MEM, ELF, JPG, etc.
When you have finished adding data files, the Data File
Assignment dialog box opens.
- In the Data File Assignment dialog box, change data
files or Start Addresses as desired.
- In the Data File Assignment dialog box, click OK.
- Right-click in the PROM File Formatter window and select Generate File.
iMPACT generates the PROM files you specified.
© Copyright 1995–2011, Xilinx®
Inc. All rights reserved.